Wednesday 25 September 2019

Once in a Blue Mood

Looking at all the multi-coloured unicorns Breyer is putting out these days got me thinking suddenly about how few blue horses I have in my collection.  I'm not talking about blue roans -- I have a good sampling of those since blue roan is one of my favourite horse colours.  No, I'm talking about blue as in peacock blue, royal blue, sky blue, navy blue, baby blue, and cornflower blue. Blue. Dappled or otherwise.

In one sense, it's not surprising how few blue horses I have, given that I have only recently gotten over my dislike of decorator and fantasy colours.  And even if I had been a big fan of decorators, until recently the opportunity to add a true blue Breyer decorator (as in Copenhagen or Wedgewood [sic] blue) to one's collection was next to nonexistent.

But in another sense, it's odd that I don't have a lot of blue horses, because blue and white are from my stable colours.  
This horse is not blue, but he is dressed in my stable colours.

Back when I used to attend live shows, it was in vogue to have a stable name to display on your exhibitor's table (this may still be done now -- it's been ages since I've been to a live show).  Anyway, my stable name was Winterplace Stables and my stable colours were blue and white.  I even painted up a tiny buffalo in blue and white colours to serve as my stable mascot, but at that time there were no blue horses of any kind in my herd.

All of the blue Breyers now in my herd have been acquired very recently.  One, the 2013 Vintage Club Shetland pony "Denim," mimics the old Copenhagen blue Breyer pattern.  Two are "Horse Crazy" translucents from around 2016, another is the 2017 Stablemate Collectors' Club "Allegiance" (who is technically red, white and blue, but mostly blue), and the last is last Christmas's Fruitcake Filly, who I was happy to get in appy blue.
This little pony also sports my stable colours, but this time on her hide.

Probably not surprisingly, I've given all but one of my blue horses names with "blue" in them:  "Blue Jean" (the Shetland), "Little Boy Blue" (G3 drafter), "Blue Ribbon Boy" (G3 Thoroughbred), and "Blueberry Frost" (the Fruitcake Filly).  "Allegiance," however, has been renamed "The Brave."

And so far, those are all the blue horses I have.  Interestingly, they are all Breyers, although Stone, Hartland, Beswick, and Hagen-Renaker have also produced horses in blue.

This may not be the end of my blue herd, though.  Sitting in a package waiting for some love is a G3 Cantering Warmblood paint-your-own Suncatcher.  I haven't quite decided what colour I'm going to paint him, but I'm leaning heavily towards some variation of purplish-blue.  It might be a while before he gets his new coat, though.

I need to wait for a blue mood to strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment