Wednesday 13 November 2019

West German Whimsy

Goebel is one of those historic pottery companies that, like the Energizer bunny, just keeps going and going and going.  Since it was founded in 1871, it has survived all the turbulence of German history: before partition in 1945, throughout the partition era (when, from 1960 to 1990 its wares were marked with "W. Germany" in the backstamp), and after German reunification in 1990.

The company is probably most famous for its Hummel figurines, based on the illustrations of a Bavarian nun, Sister Maria Innocentia Hummel, which Goebel acquired the rights to in 1935.  However, over time the company produced or acquired a number of different lines -- lately they have been specializing in sculptures of children not only through their M.I. Hummel line, but also through their Blumenkinder, Kinderland, and Nina & Marcos lines.

Among the voluminous output of the Goebel factory over the years were a number of horse figurines.  These fall roughly into two categories: realistic and comic.  Some of the realistic sculptures, like their Haflinger Pony and their Andalusian/Lipizzaner, are really quite lovely.  The comic horses are really quite lovable, with mischievous or appealing expressions and often quite playful poses.

I don't have any of the lovely Goebel horses, but I do have two of the lovable ones.  Or perhaps I should say I have two lovable equines, since one of them is not a horse, but a zebra.
"Gobi"
I've had "Gobi," my zebra foal, for many years now.  I first stumbled on him at a flea market and he looked so saucy I just had to take him home.  The Shetland Pony, "Carolina," is a more recent acquisition.  Goebel produced its Shetland Pony in a variety of colours and shades, so it took me some time to find the one that was "right" for me.
"Carolina"
Although both have been long discontinued, neither one is difficult to find, and for clinkies they can be quite inexpensive.  Both of mine have West German backstamps indicating that they were produced between 1972 to 1978 (Shetland) and 1979 to 1990 (Zebra), and both were purchased for around $10.

What I particularly like about the zebra, aside from his cheeky expression, is the fact that his stripes are actually incised into his body rather than merely painted on.  Of course, they bear no relation to real zebra stripe patterns, but they have an appeal all of their own.

The Shetland, with her big head and bumpy little legs, simply looks like the sweetest Shetland pony you can imagine -- so unlike the fierce and furry ones you find in more realistic sculptures.  The Goebel Shetland looks like she'd gladly give a child a quiet ride with no tricks, no nipping, no ear-flattening, no resistance of any kind.  Actually, the Breyer Traditional Shetland has something of this look too, although the Breyer appears more stalwart than sweet.  The Breyer would take care of the child on its back because that's its duty; the Goebel would take care of the child on its back because that's its desire.  She looks like a pony that just wants to be loved.

For now, I'm quite happy with my comical pair.  However, I could always make room for some other comical Goebels, like their Baby Donkey or one of their Unicorns, too, if that suited my fancy.  I could also change direction entirely and try to track down one of the realistic works for my clinky collection.  I'm really drawn to the comical ones though, for some strange reason.  One doesn't often think of whimsy when one thinks of Germany, but Goebel managed to marry the two, and the offspring of that marriage are mighty appealing little tots.

No comments:

Post a Comment