Sunday 15 December 2019

Collector Club Craziness

Well, what an interesting couple of days we had this week in Breyer-land!

I knew going into this week that the Breyer Collector Club Appreciation (CCA) Day would be coming up soon but, as I think I mentioned before, the last time I tried to cash in on one of those I somehow missed the mark.

Also, given that I've already purchased more models than I had really intended to this year, I was prepared to let this year's CCA Day pass me by.  But of course, I did want to know what glossies they had on offer.

As expected, by the time I checked out Breyer's CCA Day offerings last Wednesday they were all gone.  But I did note which models they'd offered to gloss (for the record, it was Seamus, Latigo Dun It, Verdades, Thunder, and Enzo) and I didn't feel too bad about missing any of them, except perhaps Enzo, who I think looks lovely in gloss.

What I did not expect was that there would be a second CCA Day announced by Breyer this past Friday and set to run all weekend long.  Apparently, the first CCA Day offerings were all grabbed up so swiftly that even the folks at Breyer were astonished, so they decided to open the store to Collector Club members once again.  I can think of a number of reasons why they might have wanted to do this, not the least of which is that Breyer will now have an idea of just how many Collector Club members might go for a CCA Day special, so they can tweak their offerings accordingly next year if they want to.

This time around they aren't telling what all the glossy models might be, although they did drop three names: King, LV Integrity, and Khalid.  Since they need time to gloss all the models they're going to give away, the new glossies won't be available until May 2020.
Can you imagine this guy as a glossy?
Intriguingly, Breyer has pre-valued these models at $150 U.S. each.  I find it interesting that Breyer valued these models on what the secondary market might pay for one, as opposed to giving them a value like that of any comparable Traditional scale model that just happens to be glossy.

Given the number of days included in the current CCA "Day" offer, I suspect there will be a lot more of the second-string glossies out "in the wild" next June than glossies from the original CCA Day, so that $150 estimated value may not stand up for very long.

Or this one?
This thought did not stop me, though, from suddenly wanting to get in on a good thing.  You see, I rather like LV Integrity, Khalid, and King, and I don't have any one of them.  Assuming that there will be five new glossies offered, the odds are already 3 out of 5 in my favour.
Or this?
So despite my previous protestations, I simply could not resist Breyer's "everyone gets a glossy" come-on.  There truly aren't a lot of horses that I need to add to my stable at this time of year, so I filled up my cart with a bunch of Breyer swag -- some pony pouches, a coffee mug, a calendar, etc.  I did add one horse ornament (the Fjord) and one painting kit (the SM Warmbloods and foal), but other than those two my order was entirely non-collectible "stuff."

It's not clear whether the swag will be coming my way before or after the May 2020 shipping date mentioned.  Either way, I can wait -- only the calendar would really be out of date if I had to wait until mid-May for my shipment.  Besides, the extra time will enable me to sit in a corner and think about what I've done.

So sorry Santa, I've been a bad girl.  I had angelic intentions, but, alas, the devil made me do it once again.

*All images courtesy of Identify Your Breyer

No comments:

Post a Comment