Wednesday 1 January 2020

Holiday Horses (and Zebras Too)

Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the weeks leading up to both offered model horse collectors a wide variety of special seasonal horses to choose from.

New this year were the red- and green-coloured mini clearware Winstons from Copperfox Model Horses.  As far as I can tell these "Coppercubs" started selling on Christmas Eve and were all gone in record time.  That's a good start for the new Copperfox 2.0 company.
Image courtesy of Copperfox Model Horses

The new Hartland company was putting out a number of glitter-dusted 3D-printed mini horses in a variety of molds for at least a month prior to the big C-Day.  Unfortunately, the bodies themselves still look like they could use a little sanding and finishing, as do almost all of Hartland's 3D-printed products.  Hartland did, however, also offer a couple of injection-molded plastic Tennessee Walking Horses with the Christmas glitter treatment, for those who like a more finished look.
Image courtesy of Hartland Horse & Cowboy Company
Stone Horses, as usual, went all out for the holidays -- particularly with their smallest Chip size horses which came in a variety of colours and snowflake patterns.  They also did a set of candy cane-inspired Chips, but with striping only on the legs as opposed to the whole body.
Image courtesy of Stone Model Horses
And last but not least, as everyone probably knows by now, Breyer's Christmas Day Collectors' Club offer was a quintet of candy-striped zebra mares, with red, green, blue, gold, and solid black variations.  Oddly, this year's offering does not seem to have been as popular with collectors as the offerings from previous years were.
Image courtesy of Breyer Model Horses and Identify Your Breyer
It just goes to show how out of step I am with the collecting majority that this year's Breyer Christmas offering was the first one I've really liked since 2017's clearware Bouncers, and the very first I decided to actually buy.  Yes I know, my last post was all about how difficult I still find it to accept some decorators.  That was pretty much the main reason I didn't bite on the Bouncer -- I loved the jewel-like clearware colours but couldn't wrap my head around the Christmas bell motif on his side.  With this year's Zebra it was much easier -- no weird patterns, just weird colours, and I happened to find them all attractive in their own way.  No matter which Zebra I get, I'm going to be happy.

Hope you have a Happy New Year too!

No comments:

Post a Comment