Sunday 22 March 2020

Up For Grabs

I was bad again.  And I'm very happy about it.

Earlier this week Breyer suddenly announced that they had an assortment of Collectors Club (CC) Grab Bags for sale.
Image courtesy of www.breyerhorses.com
As a big fan of Grab Bags, I've had my share -- 2018 Luck O' the Irish, 2018 Fourth of July, and 2014 Happy Hallowe'en among them.  Only once before have I ever bought a Collectors Club Grab Bag, but I can say right now that of all the Grab Bags I've received, the Collectors Club one had the best stuff.

Often, these bags contain Breyerfest leftovers.  My 2016 Grab Bag contained the classic Mancha and Gato set, which was the one thing I coveted most from Breyerfest that year.  So I was waiting impatiently all last year for a 2019 Grab Bag to come out -- and it never happened!  Rumour had it that all the goodies at that Breyerfest were sold out, except, perhaps, for Pepper.  Could that be why there were no CC Grab Bags last year?  Or had they just decided to stop doing CC Grab Bags, which they have a perfect right to do?
My 2016 CC Grab Bag Swag
The timing of this year's Grab Bag is interesting.  It's well before Breyerfest, so it can't contain any Breyerfest leftovers unless they only just dug some up from last year.  That seems like it might be possible to me -- I think I spotted a few boxes with the Classic RCMP horse for sale in the pictures I've glimpsed from BreyerWest.  Ironically, that is the set I crave the most from last year's Breyerfest -- although I think I liked pretty much all the goodies they came out with last year, so it would be difficult to disappoint me.

The CC Grab Bag is pretty expensive, but as is the case with all Grab Bag selections the total value of all the goods you receive is approximately twice the price you pay, so you're in effect getting everything at half-price.  However, in this time when the economy is tanking so badly I had to think twice before I put in my order.  Borders between Canada and the United States are officially closed now, but mail and parcels are still getting through.  And, honestly, I really need a "pandemic pick-me-up" right now.

No matter what I get in my Grab Bag, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.  In 2016 I only received two things that I wasn't sure about keeping -- a Holstein Cow and Calf set and a sorrel AQHA 75th Anniversary horse.  I managed to sell the cattle off right away, and while I still have the AQHA horse on my sales list it's not because I don't like him -- it's just because I already have an AQHA horse from the initial four releases, and it's not a mold I particularly want to conga.  However, if he fails to find a home and I somehow miraculously find more shelf room, he'll definitely join the herd.
Still waiting to be freed.
I might have waited to see if the economy would recover a bit before I went ahead and placed my order, but the phrase "Limited Quantities" kind of freaked me out, given how quickly Breyer has been selling out of things lately.  However, from what I've read on Breyer's Facebook page, it seems like a lot of collectors are passing on this deal, at least for now, because of economic worries.  In 2016, though, they made so many bags they ended up selling them outside the club after the CC offer expired, so perhaps I need not have panicked.

But for now I'm really glad I rejoined the Collector Club this year, even though I'm not part of any specialty clubs.  I wasn't exactly expecting to have a large influx of Breyers this year (remember my resolution? -- not so many Breyers!), but then this happened.

So I was bad and I'm not regretting it one little bit.

1 comment:

  1. No regrets! I love my Gato & Mancha. I've never gotten a Grab Bag. I would guess Breyer simply sold out in 2019.

    ReplyDelete