Sunday 3 May 2020

Everybody's Buddy

I think it may be safe to say that the animated pinto "Boomerang" from the Netflix/DreamWorks series Spirit: Riding Free is a fan favourite.  Noticeably smaller and stockier than the two other horse heroes of the series -- Chica Linda and Spirit (or Spirit Jr., if you prefer), Boomerang has endeared himself to viewers through his cheery good nature and general goofiness.
Everybody's buddy, "Boomerang"
It doesn't hurt that his owner, Abigail, also has the sunniest disposition amongst the three human protagonists (Pru is much more of a worrier, and Lucky much readier to see the downside of things).  Although Abigail's relentless cheerfulness can be a bit annoying -- as was acknowledged in the series during an episode in which she tried to befriend the "villain," Grayson -- and Boomerang's antics can be a little repetitive, the two characters always add a bit of levity to almost every episode they appear in.

In addition, Boomerang has demonstrated heroism and bravery in defending his friends, tolerance when Abigail dresses him up in a variety of costumes, and even a wild side in Episode Four from Season One, when he took it upon himself to fulfill a dream of living like a wild horse with Spirit's herd.

Breyer has done a fine job portraying Boomerang in a variety of shapes and sizes.  Most impressively, they created a whole new mold just for him when the Spirit: Riding Free Collection debuted in 2017.  The new mold has also been used once to represent a non-cartoon horse, which it arguably accomplished better than the older Spirit and Rain (now Chica Linda) sculptures did due perhaps to his not having such exaggeratedly long proportions.

I have three Boomerangs in my collection -- the solid PVC plastic one from the Spirit and Friends Gift Set, the SM Standing Stock Horse version from the Series One Blind Bags, and now, thanks to my Collector Club Grab Bag, the Abigail and Boomerang Small Set.
Breyer's Abigail and Boomerang Small Set
I really like the Spirit: Riding Free small sets as they remind me of the Bitsy Breyer and Little Bit sets of old.  Recently, the Breyer Model Horses Facebook page did a "blast from the past" look at the old Little Bits and I noticed quite a few people asking for their return, so I'm definitely not the only one who misses them.

However, I had no real intention of collecting the whole Spirit Small Set series.  When they first came out I took a good look at them and decided that I liked the Chica Linda figure best of all, so that was the one I ordered.

Now, though, I have Boomerang and Abigail to go with Chica Linda and Pru, and I find I quite like the Boomerang mold too.  Just like his Traditional scale counterpart, he's shown in action with his mane flying out behind him, and his expression is open and cheerful.  But it almost seems like sacrilege now not to add Spirit and Lucky to finish off the team.  
Does it look like they're missing somebody?
 I don't have any particular problems with either figure, but it has always seemed like a bit of a rip-off to me that they sell for the same price as the other two despite the fact that you don't get a bridle or saddle with the Spirit and Lucky set.  Sure, the tack is funky cheap plastic, but still ... it's the principle of thing.  Since Spirit doesn't wear tack, I think they should have thought of some other accessories for his set -- a lasso and a feed bucket, perhaps?  Or a hoop to jump through from his circus days?  Anything to justify the price.

I've heard a rumour that Breyer will be discontinuing their Spirit merchandise next year -- whether that's to replace it with newer stuff or because they've just reached the end of their license for, or interest in, the project, I'm not sure.  I'm not even sure if the rumour has any basis in reality, but if it does I only have a limited time in which to decide whether to complete my small set collection or not.

I already have a fair number of Spirits in my collection -- maybe more than Boomerangs -- so it's not like I'm missing a portrait of the hero of the show.

Speaking of which, the world of Spirit: Riding Free continues to expand healthily with no signs of slowing down.  Earlier this year they started up a new series called Spirit Riding Free: Riding Academy, a ninth season of the regular series is supposed to be out this autumn, and a low budget feature film is supposedly in development.

All this means we haven't seen the last of Boomerang yet.

1 comment:

  1. Breyer would like you to think you only have a limited time to decide! But believe me, on the secondary market you have forever. And you usually have price choices too. Although there is skill in buying on the secondary market, almost anyone can gain it with practice and a little study.

    ReplyDelete