Sunday 12 July 2020

One Brief Shining Moment

Although I am clinky horse collector, I never intended to collect Breyer's entire International Miniature Collection of porcleain Stablemate horses, originally released from 2004-2005.

Of the whole set of four, the one I always wanted the most was the Portuguese Lusitano.  I also liked the little scratching Quarter Horse foal, but the Shetland Pony and English Shire were never among my favorite Stablemate molds, so even though they were clinkies I had no desire to own them.
The Portuguese Lusitano
I've search haphazardly over the years for a Lusitano being offered at a price I was willing to pay, but it seemed to be among the rarest of the four and I never could make up my mind to meet the price the very few I found for sale were tagged with.

In fact, the first International Miniature I found, and the first to join my collection, was the Quarter Horse foal.  He was a real bargain.  I spotted him in the "Sales" folder of a Canadian tack store, and snapped him up as soon as I saw him.

Three years later I acquired both the Shetland Pony and the English Shire in a trade with a friend.  All that was still missing now was the Portuguese Lusitano.

Then, a few weeks ago I found him in an on-line estate sale.  He was several times more expensive than the foal, but still within the latest value I'd seen quoted for this piece, and less than any other example I'd ever found.
Keepers
He arrived the other day and now, for one brief shining moment, I have the complete collection.
The Complete International Collection
I say "one brief shining moment" because I've already agreed to sell the Shetland Pony to a local collector -- we just have to wait for a good time to get together to make that transaction happen.

Although having the complete collection is cool, I have no regrets about selling the pony on.  Perhaps some day I'll find a local buyer for the Shire as well.  Or I could find a bargain basement Shetland on sale again somewhere, and re-complete the collection -- you never really know.
Sellers (?)
Funny thing about Breyer's Stablemate clinkies -- they seem to be highly desirable, judging by the prices I often see on them.  Aside from the Lusitano, I have coveted a number of the porcelain miniatures released for Breyerfest over the years, but to date I only have one -- the 2002 grey G2 Warmblood.  I also acquired that one in a trade.  There are a few others out there that I would certainly make shelf-room for, but I have never yet found one going for what I would consider a fair price.  And I don't need them all that badly.  This year's Breyerfest is probably putting a big dent in my pocketbook even as this article is being posted.

Thank heavens they're only offering one crystal horse ("Kelpie") this year as far as clinkies go.  I don't collect crystals -- yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment