Sunday 6 October 2019

Tiny Toys, Big Fun

I first found out about the "World's Smallest" line of toys from one of Jennifer Buxton's posts from last July.  Having grown up with Gumby and Pokey, I could not resist the miniature versions and, like Jennifer, I was charmed by the idea of teeny tiny My Little Ponies.  
My "World's Smallest" treasures

My sets arrived this Thursday and I haven't really stopped obsessing over them since.

"World's Smallest" are manufactured in China for a company called Super Impulse -- possibly the most fitting brand name I've ever come across.  There are actually six petite My Little Ponies to collect (Butterscotch and Snuzzle, Minty and Firefly, and Blue Belle and Cotton Candy), but with two in a package one set was good enough for me.  Turns out that they are made of hard plastic -- not squishy like the full-size ones -- but otherwise they mimic their larger counterparts quite capably.

As for Pokey: before he arrived I wasn't convinced that he would in fact be the "world's smallest" Pokey.  As I said, I grew up with Gumby and Pokey and I had two sets of them -- the full size version and the miniature version.  Over the years the wires that made them flexible broke, and the only survivor of my original quartet is the miniature Pokey.  Would the "world's smallest" Pokey be tinier than my old fellow?  Well, you can see for yourself.
Miniature Pokey and World's Smallest Pokey (the Mini Whinny is there for scale)

Pokey is poseable, filled with tiny versions of the same wires that wore out so often on my old toys.  Gumby is the same:  flexible and wiry.  Like the originals, I suspect that too much use will eventually snap the wires on both Gumby and Pokey.  But these ones are more for ogling than for playing, so I'm fairly confident that they'll last a little while.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with my new toys, other than admire their appealing puniness.  I know a lot of clever performance showers out there will find ways to work them into a scene of some sort -- they're perhaps not quite in scale with the 1:9 inch scale of Breyer Traditional horses and dolls, but I'm sure some leeway could be granted for a particularly clever scene.
 
The only doll I had handy was a Classic rider, but she and the Mini Whinny should give you a good gauge for scale.

But that's not why I bought them.  I bought them because I found them irresistibly cute, and that cuteness engaged my super impulse buying power, with the result that three new plastic ponies have now been added to my miscellaneous pony herd.

No comments:

Post a Comment