Sunday 9 February 2020

Dissolving My Resolve

In other news, I am not only failing to pursue my 2020 New Year's Resolutions, but have actually begun flouting them.

I had resolved to cut back on model horse purchases.  We're just over a week into February and I've already purchased three new horses.  Two were the WIA horses I wrote about discovering a couple of blog posts ago.

But I specifically resolved to cut back on Breyer purchases, and this week my third new horse and my first new Breyer of 2020 arrived.  I caved in and ordered it on January 31st. 
However, it was bound to happen sooner or later.  When previews of Breyer's new 2020 line started coming out, the one horse that I knew for sure I had to get was the new Classic or "Freedom Series" Horse of the Year -- "Fairfax."  So it was going to happen.  What then was the point in waiting?  Sure, various retailers will probably have sales on Freedom Series horses throughout the year, but the savings are usually small and the shipping is still the same.  I managed to get my "Fairfax" from a Canadian dealer, which kept the price and especially the shipping down significantly.  And of course, I want to support home-grown model horse dealers whenever possible or practical.  So why not now?
Anyway, "Fairfax" is pretty much everything I want in a modern Morgan.  He's got more of a foundation-bred look than the Saddlebred look which was all the rage with Morgan fanciers a few years ago (and still may be, for all I know).  When Stone horses swapped out their old mold, Saddlebred-type Morgan for the new one they called this new old-fashioned Morgan a "Santa Fe Morgan" .  Breyer doesn't have a distinctive name for either this Morgan or the other Classics sculpted by Sommer Prosser, but Sommer's Morgans do have the Saddlebred look to them too -- so much so that Breyer actually started offering the mare as a Saddlebred just last year.
But "Fairfax" has the look of the kind of Morgans I like.  I don't even mind his head-up, watchful attitude as that's a typical Morgan stance.  And while Morgans are usually very conservative in colour, they do sometimes break out into silver bays, which look almost exactly like "Fairfax."  In typical Morgan fashion, he has no real "chrome" on his body, but he does have the most adorable tiny little crescent star on his forehead, like a shy little flash of white just peeping out from behind a dark cloud.

By the way, whatever Breyer says to the contrary, the "Fairfax" I have in my hands is a gelding, not a stallion.  If there were one thing I could add to him, I would have liked to see him with a few dapples, just to draw a bit more attention to the beauty of his colour.  But even without them. he's a real standout on the shelf for me.  I almost hope they don't turn the colour machine on this mold too soon -- the last thing I need is another model horse conga.

Oops -- did that sound a bit like a resolution to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment