Wednesday 26 February 2020

Foxes and Boxes

Today I thought I'd write a bit about some interesting offers I've come across recently in the world of model horses.

If you subscribe to the Copperfox Models' newsletter or follow their Facebook page, then you already know that they're putting out a clearware edition of the new Scamp pony sculpture, miniaturized, of course.  For some reason they seem to be finding it easier to issue clearware plastic models as opposed to painted plastic ones, probably due to the fact that they don't have to engage any painters when doing clearware.  

I'm sorely tempted by the bevy of blue-toned Scamps as I really love that pony mold and am waiting impatiently for a full size plastic version to become available.  Blue and white are also my stable colours, so any one of these little guys would make a great stable mascot.  However, like the Christmas Winstons I'm predicting they will sell out quickly and they'll probably be gone by the time this post is published. 

(For the record: they sold out within 10 minutes yesterday and no, I was not able to snag one.)
Image from the Copperfox Model Horses Newsletter
However, coming in March, Copperfox is going to be running a contest to name their little fox mascot, who is also coming out in plastic, I believe.  I hope to enter that one, but my head is so full of traditional fox names that I'm going to have to struggle to come up with something original.  I like the challenge, though.  And now you have some time to dream up some names too.

The other interesting offer is for Schleich aficionados.  I know Scheichs and such are not as popular with collectors in North America as they are in Europe, but they're still good starter horses for pony-mad kids.

Anyway, MiniZoo, an Australian on-line toy store, has recently come out with subscription boxes for their figurines, which include not only Schleich, but also Papo, Mojo, Safari, and CollectA.  They ship anywhere in the world (I've bought a few figurines from them myself) and they offer two choices for their monthly Horse Box -- a small box containing 3-5 figures and a large box containing 6-10 figures.  

The main drawback, as far as I can tell, is that the boxes are pretty pricey, especially if you're shelling out that amount each month (if you're checking them out don't forget to click on the flag in the upper right to see the cost in your currency).  But I have to admit that I haven't done the math to see if the boxes are really a bargain, given the average cost of the horses and accessories that may also be in the box.
Image from the minizoo.com.au website
I'm pretty sure they're only for the serious fan of solid plastic ponies, but still, I think the idea of monthly horse figurine subscription box is a pretty cool idea.  Just imagine the delight of receiving a box full of mystery horses each and every month!  Okay, I know some people don't like surprises so they're definitely not for everyone.  Me, I love surprises, but I'm pretty picky about the Schleichs I like, so the boxes are not for me.

Of course, Copperfox clearware ponies aren't for everyone either.  Once upon a time I would have given them short shrift too, but the times they are a-changin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment